WHAT DOES THE ONAWA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE DO????
The mission of the Onawa Chamber of Commerce is to unite the business community, to promote and support the growth, development and betterment of the Onawa community by providing positive leadership.
Annual community events bring visitors and their dollars to our community.
- Weekly Chamber Coffees (Welcomes new businesses to town with ribbon cuttings. Great networking opportunity!)
- Burr Walk/Health and Fitness Vendor Fair (held in January, approximately 30-40 people walk and 12 vendors)
- Annual Chamber Dinner (held in March, approximately 80 to 100members attend)
- Administrative Professional Day Luncheon (held in April shows appreciation for employees)
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt (approximately 4,000 eggs are filled and hidden for the children)
- Crazy Days and City Wide Garage Sale (held in June and September)
- Lewis and Clark Festival (held in June, Chamber sponsors event and helps with advertising)
- Graffiti Night (held in June, Chamber sponsors event and helps with advertising)
- Monona County Fair supporters and volunteers (held in July)
- Annual Chamber golf outing (held in August, brings members together for a day of fun)
- ONABIKE (held in August, approximately 250 to 300 people participate in this event)
- Halloween Safe Trick or Treating (at downtown businesses during regular hours)
- Christmas events (Chamber Bucks retail promotion, downtown lighting ceremony with Santa and free Christmas movie for the kids -over 200 kids were present for 2019)
- Informational luncheons (scheduled as needed, keeping the community informed on important topics)
- Special informational presentations (sponsor, advertise and support)
- Decorations downtown (change with the season to beautify the downtown area)
MARKETING OUR COMMUNITY
We want others to know about our community and businesses.
ONLINE: All members are listed on the website, www.onawachamber.com. The Community Calendar and special event pages provide information about events. All Chamber members are invited to send dates to firstname.lastname@example.org to be listed on the website. Weekly e-mails are sent out to remind members of activities going on in Onawa for the next week. The Chamber also has a Facebook page.
DIRECT CONTACT: The Chamber produces a monthly newsletter to feature different businesses and the monthly calendar of events. The Chamber supplies “Welcome packets” to be distributed given by the City Office to new community members. All Chamber Members can have their business information placed in these packets. Information is also available for tour groups or potential citizens.
TOURISM: By participating in various tourism groups and activities, the Chamber is able to promote Onawa regionally to attract more people and events to Onawa. The Chamber belongs to is the Western Iowa Tourism Federation.
ONGOING EFFORTS AND PARTNERSHIPS: The Chamber also gives all Chamber Members the opportunity to purchase Chamber Bucks to distribute as gifts or incentives to employees. These Chamber Bucks can ONLY be spent at a Chamber Member business. There is an average of $400 worth of Chamber Bucks purchased every month from Chamber Members to be spent in Onawa
The Chamber is also every active with Monona County Economic Development Partnership and has co-sponsored a job fair, local business education and trainings, and the Skilled Iowa project for Onawa and Monona County. The City of Onawa was the first Iowa City to earn that recognition. The Chamber has also co-sponsored business specific trainings on topics such as Excel, Apprenticeships, Internet security, etc. The Chamber is also an active partner in getting new business to come to Onawa.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please call the Chamber Office 712-423-1801 or e-mail email@example.com. A membership form is listed below.